Policy Advisor for Climate Risk Management/Climate Change Adaptation and Human Rights (m/f/diverse)
4-40h/week; location: Bonn or Berlin, Germany; starting as soon as possible; for 12 months (maternity leave replacement) with the intent to extend
Germanwatch is a development and environment organization that actively engages in international political and economic discussions. The situation of marginalized people forms the starting point for our engagement for sustainable development.
Climate change is already today causing loss and damage, its impacts are a threat to human security and sustainable development, and these impacts are rapidly increasing. The people who have contributed least to the climate crisis suffer the most from its consequences; however, so far there is no adequate support for particularly affected people, communities and countries in managing climate risks and addressing its impacts. Germanwatch advocates for solutions and financing to increase the resilience of vulnerable people and communities to the impacts of climate change. Germanwatch drives the international policy debate in this regard through research, policy recommendations, dialogues with ministries and the private sector, and advocacy in partnership with other think tanks and NGOs in relevant multilateral processes. Together with civil society partners from developing countries, Germanwatch is exploring and advocating for poverty-oriented and human rights-based solutions for climate risk management and financing in the context of multi-actor partnership constellations. Through the Climate Risk Index Germanwatch analyses weather-related damage events (storms, floods, heat waves etc.) and their effects on states worldwide.
We are looking for two policy advisors, both as maternity leave replacements, to complement our International Climate Policy Team.
(Candidates are not expected to meet all requirements listed below. Germanwatch will look for complementary candidates to fill the two positions.)
- University degree in a relevant field or an equivalent extent of practical experience
- Understanding of the international climate, development and risk management regimes, organizations and initiatives, especially UNFCCC, UNDRR, InsuResilience Global Partnership (IGP).
- Understanding of international debates around climate impacts, climate risk management, loss and damage, climate resilience and adaptation, climate justice, climate and security.
- Competence and work experience in the area of climate risk management in developing countries. Experience in working with civil society organizations from developing countries and in multi-stakeholder processes is considered a strong asset.
- Strong competence in coordinating and leading projects with multi-stakeholder constellations.
- Competence in research and writing of publications, policy briefs, etc.
- High motivation to work in an NGO environment.
- Experience in advocacy.
- Fluency in English. At minimum, basic command of German language. Other languages are considered an asset.
Your tasks will initially include contributions to
- Management and lead of an international multi-stakeholder project on the topic of addressing climate impacts in developing countries.
- Coordination of activities around climate risk financing together with civil society organizations in partner countries as part of an international project consortium.
- Collaboration in conceptualizing, writing and organizing policy briefs, reports, and presentations on multi-actor partnerships and addressing climate impacts.
- Development and coordination of joint positions with German and international NGO partners and networks.
- Engage in multilateral processes around climate impacts and climate risk financing and formulate positions, including UNFCCC COPs and ExCom Meetings, G7, etc. and analyze relevant policies or the wider climate and development context.
- Engage in international and German NGO networks on climate impacts. Support building capacity in loss and damage through civil society dialogues.
- Prepare communication materials (including short papers and briefings, newsletter, blog posts, social media).
- Conception and preparation of events
- Support work on the Germanwatch Climate Risk Index.
- Write project proposals
The post will be based in either Bonn or Berlin, Germany, and will require national and international travel. Germanwatch will support securing visa and work permit. The position comes with German benefits scheme, including health insurance. We offer high flexibility with regard to working hours and workplace and provide technical support as needed.
Application documents (including the below mentioned applicant’s form) should be sent no later than July 3rd 2022 together with the applicant’s form available in the download section of this page. In case of problems downloading this form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. The applicant’s form is the central document of your application, necessary for it to be valid. It also contains further information on the application process.
Interviews are expected to take place via video on the following dates:
First round of interviews: July 12th or 13th 2022
Second round of interviews (with a selection of applicants from round 1): July 14th 2022
Bitte lasst uns wissen, wenn ihr euch erfolgreich beworben habt UND hebt in eurer Bewerbung hervor, dass ihr die Ausschreibung im Spinnen-Netz entdeckt habt! Vor allem, wenn die Stelle als Netzwerkjob hervorgehoben oder mit Logo ausgezeichnet worden ist.
Angemeldete Mitglieder sehen hier weitere Informationen zu der angebotenen Stelle.
Bitte beantrage eine kostenfreie Schnuppermitgliedschaft, um alle Informationen zu erhalten.